Michael McDermott is an associate at Dain, Torpy, Le Ray, Wiest & Garner, P.C. focusing on litigation primarily for the real estate industry. His matters have involved disputes concerning land use, real estate, environmental, condominium, agricultural, insurance, and consumer credit issues. In addition, his practice includes providing property owners and developers with due diligence, permitting, and conflict avoidance services and advising the governing boards of Massachusetts condominium associations. Mr. McDermott also handles a number of pro bono matters such as, immigrants applying for asylum, an international non-profit organization on projects in Africa, and serving as real estate and litigation counsel for local non-profits. Mr. McDermott has tried cases in Massachusetts District, Superior, and Land Courts, and before the United States Immigration Court.
Recent Representative Matters:
Outfront Media, Inc.
Successfully moved for summary judgment on the merits appealing the city of Boston’s denial of an as-of-right building permit for the erection of a monopole billboard.
Private Client, Abington, MA
Served as second chair in a successful multi-day adverse possession trial.
Part of successful trial team for landlord in an arbitration to collect unpaid holdover use and occupancy from tenant and to defend against series of tenant counterclaims.
KGI Properties, Wayland, MA
Served on trial team that won nearly a million dollar jury verdict against municipality regarding municipal wastewater treatment plant allocation and capacity.
Solar Energy Company
Provided national solar energy company with local permitting, lien, and due diligence advice and analysis for multi-property energy project.
- Constitutionalizing an Enforceable Right to Food: A New Tool for Combating Hunger, 35 Boston College International & Comparative Law Review 543 (2012).
- International Environmental Disputes and the Need for Court-Commissioned Independent Experts, Boston College International & Comparative Law Review, Electronic Supplement (April 2011).
Professional Activities and Honors:
- Each year from 2014 through 2016, Mr. McDermott has been named a Super Lawyers Rising Star in New England
- Member of the American, Massachusetts, Boston, and Real Estate Bar Associations
- Member of NAIOP Massachusetts
- Member of the Cornell University Real Estate Council
Bar and Court Admissions:
Mr. McDermott is admitted to practice in Massachusetts, New York, and before the U.S. District Court of Massachusetts.
J.D., Boston College Law School, 2012 (cum laude)
B.S., Cornell University, 2009 (magna cum laude)
- Intern, Farm to Consumer Legal Defense Fund
- Member, Jessup International Moot Court Team
- Executive Editor, BC International & Comparative Law Review