Our Green Building and Renewable Energy practice attorneys work with a wide variety of corporations and institutions seeking to achieve independence from traditional fossil fuels, reduce green house gas emissions, improve building performance, and increase profitability through the development of renewable and alternative energy sources, growth of renewable energy markets, use of green building practices, and the redevelopment of brownfield properties.
Our Energy clients include independent power producers and corporations engaged in the development, financing, and manufacture of energy, energy efficient technologies, and greenhouse gas reducing products and services. Our experience and firm size enable us to be highly responsive to clients’ goals, time frames, and budget constraints. We work with each client to identify and address goals, challenges, risks, and risk-mitigation mechanisms. In addition to helping our clients assess the impact of potential changes in government policies and regulations, our Insurance and Risk Management Practice Group enables us to help clients to reduce and transfer renewable energy project and green building risk.
Our work with domestic and international energy clients includes:
- Development and permitting of residential, commercial and utility scale renewable and alternative energy facilities;
- Power Purchase Agreements;
- Risk Management;
- Project Financing; and
- Governmental Credits and Government Funding.
In our green building real estate practice we represent developers, landlords, and tenants in all phases of green building development/redevelopment. In particular we work closely with clients on:
- financing (including obtaining all available subsidies, credits and incentives);
- redeveloping environmentally distressed properties (including negotiations with cleanup contractors and state and local government agencies);
- building design including obtaining necessary approvals, zoning variances and LEED pre-certification documentation);
- construction (including negotiation of construction documents, indemnities, insurance, and obtaining LEED certification);
- lease and other contract negotiations (including green building replacement and performance provisions); and
- green building operation and maintenance contracts.
As part of our commitment to providing cutting-edge services and counsel, two of our attorneys are United States Green Building Council (USGBC) Leadership in Energy and Environment Accredited Professionals (LEED APs) and the firm is a member of the USGBC.
We also work with corporations and educational and other nonprofit institutions to assess and monitor their carbon footprint and develop project and company-wide sustainability initiatives. We can assist companies to understand and comply with federal, state, local, and market-based reporting requirements, advise companies on upcoming government incentive programs, purchase, swap, or sell green certificates and green energy tax incentives, and provide information on sustainability efforts to their communities and consumers.