Nancer Ballard joined Dain, Torpy, Le Ray, Wiest & Garner, P.C. in February 2008. She has more than twenty years experience in corporate enterprise and environmental risk management, insurance placement and coverage litigation, and resolving complex business disputes. A former senior partner at Goodwin Procter, LLC, Ms. Ballard chaired Goodwin Procter’s Environmental Department from 1996-1997 and its Insurance Practice Group from 1990-2001.
Ms. Ballard’s practice focuses on helping regional, national, and global clients to reduce environmental exposures, implement risk management strategies, and develop and implement green building and renewable energy projects. She has collected hundreds of millions of dollars in insurance proceeds for commercial, industrial and institutional clients in environmental, construction, shareholder, and products liability disputes and is a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Accredited Professional (LEED AP).
Best Petroleum Company
Campbell Soup Company
Certified Oil Company
The Charles Stark Draper Laboratory, Inc.
Farmland Industries, Inc.
The Gillette Company
The Janus Funds
Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
The Massachusetts Port Authority
Thomas O’Connor & Company, Inc.
Warren Equities, Inc.
Ms. Ballard is a contributing author of The Law of Hazardous Waste: Management, Cleanup, Liability and Litigation (Mathew Bender & Co.) and has authored numerous articles, including “Clearing Muddy Waters,” an article she co-wrote with Peter Manus which was awarded Best Article on Hazardous Waste by Land Use and Environmental Law Review.
Other publications include:
- “Holes in the Whole: Considerations on the Made Whole Doctrine and Its Applicability to Environmental Claims,” Environmental Claims Journal (2011)
- “Flooding the Permafrost: The Role of Environmental Claims in The Effort To Regulate Global Warming Emissions,” Environmental Claims Journal (2009)
- “Single and Multiple Occurrences: The Why and Wherefores,” (co-author) Proceedings from Mealey’s Conference on Emerging Insurance Issues (Lexis/Nexis Publications, 2002)
- “Settling Complex Insurance Disputes,” Environmental Insurance Insights and Practical Tips for Environmental Attorneys, Litigators and Coverage Counsel (Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education,1995)
- “Managing Property Owners’ Liabilities for Lead Exposure,” National Multi-Housing Council Bulletin (1993)
- “Minimizing Potential Underground Storage Tank Liabilities,” Government Institutes, Inc. (1990).
Ms. Ballard is also a frequent speaker at seminars and conferences, including presentations sponsored by the American Bar Association, Mealey’s Insurance Reports, the Forbes Foundation, Northeast Chapter of the American Corporate Counsel Association, International Women’s Insolvency Roundtable, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, The Maine Bar Association, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Suffolk University Law School, and Harvard Law School.
Her work on issues related to law-firm management and women in law include:
- ABA Annual Meeting. Panelist. “Top Issues to Master for a Thriving Career” (August 2014)
- Remarks on “Practices that Advance Education and Address Obstacles” for Journal of the New York State Judicial Institute on Professionalism in the Law, (November,2002)
- Facing the Grail: Confronting the Cost of Work-Family Imbalance (Boston: Bar Association, 1999) (editor and principal author)
- More Than Part Time: The Effect of Reduced-Hours Arrangements on the Retention, Recruitment, and Success of Women Attorneys in Law Firms (Boston: Women’s Bar Association of Massachusetts and American Law Media 2000)
- She was also a commentator in the PBS documentary, Juggling Work and Family produced by Hedrick Smith Productions (2001)
Professional Activities and Honors:
- Resident Scholar, Women’s Studies Research Center, Brandeis University (2000-Present)
- Since 2013 Ms. Ballard was named one of the top lawyers in New England in the Insurance
- Coverage category by Super Lawyers, a joint publication of Boston Magazine and Law & Politics. The Super Lawyers comprise the top 5% of lawyers in the state.
- Editorial Advisory Board, Environmental Claims Journal (2008-2009)
- Board of Directors, Women’s Bar Association of Massachusetts (1998-2001)
- Special Recognition Award for Extraordinary Contribution to the Women’s Bar Association of Massachusetts (2001)
- Chair of Standing Committee on Work and Family, Boston Bar Association (1999-2000)
- Member of the Selection Board for Awards for Pre-eminent Environmental Articles Land Use and Environmental Law Review (1993-1994)
- Volunteer Mediator for the Massachusetts Office of Dispute Resolution and the Department of Environmental Protection on wetlands (1987-1988)
- Ms. Ballard is a member of the American Bar Association, the Boston Bar Association, and the Women’s Bar Association of Massachusetts.
Bar and Court Admissions:
Ms. Ballard is admitted to the bars of Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court, US Court of Appeals for the First Circuit and the US District Court for the District of Massachusetts.
Clerkship and Education:
The Honorable Hugh Bownes, US Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, 1984-1985
J.D. Northeastern University School of Law, 1984
MFA Bennington Writing Seminars, 2007
M.A. Goddard Graduate School for Social Change, 1977