Michael Riley’s practice covers all aspects of commercial real estate, including leasing, permitting, acquisitions, dispositions and financing. Michael has focused his practice on representing landlords and tenants in both office and retail lease transactions. Michael is an associate at Dain Torpy.
Prior to joining Dain Torpy, Michael was a real estate associate at Goulston & Storrs PC. Before Goulston, Michael served as Corporate Counsel (via secondment) for a leading private equity investor in middle market companies, where he represented the company in a variety of legal matters. During his time at Boston College Law School, Michael interned for a professional sports and entertainment organization in Foxboro, MA and was the Editor-in-Chief of the Uniform Commercial Code Reporter-Digest, for which he received the John D. O’Reilly, Jr. Award for contribution to the law school community through service to its students.
Recent Representative Transactions:
- Represented landlord in lease of 214,000 square feet of office space in Cambridge to marketing software firm (nominated for CBA Office Deal of the Year for Greater Cambridge in 2015).
- Represented professional sports team in 20-year practice facility lease in Boston (awarded CBA Most Creative Deal of the Year for 2015).
- Represented pharmaceutical company in lease for 202,000 square feet of office space in Lexington (awarded BBJ Office Deal of the Year for 2014 and nominated for CBA Suburban Office Deal of the Year for 2014).
- Represented developer in various permitting matters related to 1.96 million-square-foot expansion of multi-use project in Boston, including construction of 52-story residential tower.
- Represented professional sports organization in permitting of new stadium access road and parking lots.
- Represented owner/operator in financing transactions for hotels in Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Montana.
Professional Activities and Honors:
In 2017 Mr. Riley has been named a Super Lawyers Rising Star in New England by Super Lawyers, a joint publication of Boston Magazine and Law & Politics. The Rising Stars list comprises the top 2.5% of lawyers in the state under 40.
Received the President’s Volunteer Service Award for his involvement in Discovering Justice’s “Stand Up for Your Rights” mock appellate program.
J.D., Boston College Law School, 2013 (magna cum laude)
B.A., Stonehill College, 2007 (cum laude)
Bar and Court Admissions:
Mr. Riley is admitted to practice in Massachusetts.