Lawrence R. Cahill’s practice concentrates in the areas of real estate finance, acquisitions, dispositions, development, entity and joint venture formation, and leasing. He has represented major financial institutions including real estate investment managers, banks, pension funds and insurance companies in acquiring, developing, selling, and financing projects throughout the United States. He has represented major Boston financial institutions and real estate advisors making commercial loans, including mezzanine, construction, tandem, convertible, and bullet loans, on office, retail, hotel, multi-family residential, and industrial projects. During his career, he has also represented owners and developers of office buildings, hotels, research and development facilities, shopping centers, apartment complexes, and industrial facilities in construction contract negotiations and leasing.
Acquisitions and Sales:
- Represented a major retailer in the acquisition of over 320 gasoline stations and convenience stores throughout New England and the Mid Atlantic states
- Represented a New England based, privately held hotel chain in the sale of more than 30 hotels for a total sales price of $135,000,000
- Represented institutional investors in the joint venture acquisition of numerous apartment complexes in Florida, Texas and California
- Represented a real estate fund manager in the acquisition of a major office tower in Chicago
- Represented an investor in the acquisition of a limited partnership interest in three partnerships owning hundreds of acres of residential land in Texas
- Represented two family partnerships in the sale of three office buildings in Westwood, Massachusetts for a sales price of $70,500,000
- Represented a real estate investment manager in the joint venture acquisition of three retail shopping centers in three separate transactions in Florida
- Represented an institutional investor in the acquisition of an industrial warehouse in New Jersey
- Represented a pharmaceutical company in the acquisition and construction of an R&D facility in the Boston Metro West area
- Represented a developer in connection with the construction of two office buildings and a restaurant in Boston
- Represented the developer of a mixed use residential, retail and hotel development in Boston with an estimated construction cost of approximately $500,000,000
- Represented an insurance company in connection with a private equity investment in a $350,000,000 office tower to be constructed in Chicago
- Represented a bank in connection with a $170,000,000 construction loan for an office tower in Boston
- Represented an insurance company in making a $40,000,000 mezzanine loan on an office tower in New York
- Represented a bank in numerous loan restructurings and workouts in the Boston area
- Represented financial institutions in connection with a mezzanine construction loan for the construction of condominiums and office complex in the Washington D.C. suburbs with a value of over $430,000,000
- Represented numerous owners in connection with commercial refinancing
- Represented an insurance company in connection with the making of numerous mezzanine loans on commercial properties throughout the U.S.
- Represented a private equity investor in the acquisition of a preferred equity investment in 10 auto dealerships in Massachusetts and Maine
- Represented a community bank in connection with the making of a number of participation loans to various developers in the Boston area
- Represented a financial institution in making a construction loan for the development of 11 luxury beach homes on Maui
- Represented a developer in the ground lease of a pier in Charlestown, Massachusetts from the Massachusetts Port Authority
- Represented an insurance company in connection with the acquisition and leaseback by the seller of 11 floors in a 40 story office building in Boston
- Represented a developer in leasing 168,000 square feet of office and restaurant space to 13 separate tenants
- Represented a non profit in leasing 35,000 square feet of office space in Cambridge and Washington D.C.
Prior to joining Dain, Torpy, Le Ray, Wiest & Garner, Mr. Cahill was a long-time equity partner at Goodwin Procter LLP, and a member of that firm’s Real Estate, REITs & Real Estate Capital Markets Group.
Before joining Goodwin Procter, Mr. Cahill was a commercial real estate developer in Chicago, where he managed the development of several office and industrial parks on behalf of large institutional investors.
Mr. Cahill has been selected for inclusion in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business.
In 2005, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016, Larry was named one of the top lawyers in New England in the Real Estate category by Super Lawyers, a joint publication of Boston Magazine and Law & Politics. The Super Lawyers comprise the top 5% of lawyers in the state.
Mr. Cahill is a member of the Boston, Massachusetts, and American Bar Associations
Bar and Court Admissions
Mr. Cahill is admitted to the bar of Massachusetts.
J.D., University of Chicago, 1972
B.A., University of Rochester, 1969