Joe is currently on an extended leave of absence traveling the world.
Joe is a co-founder and member of the firm. He is a transactional attorney who handles acquisition, disposition, financing, construction and leasing of commercial real estate. In particular, Joe specializes in representing both landlords and tenants in office, retail, biotech, industrial and warehouse leases and related agreements. His owner/developer clients include Beacon Capital, Boston Properties, Crosspoint Associates, Madison Properties, Normandy Real Estate Partners, Northland, Northwood, Synergy, Westbrook and an owner of over twenty shopping centers throughout New England. He also represents a number of operating companies including athenahealth, Citrix, DraftKings, and Virtusa, as well as venture capital firms and their portfolio companies.
Before co-founding Dain Torpy, Joe was a co-founder of the firm Torpy & Garner, and prior to that was with Testa, Hurwitz & Thibeault for nearly ten years.
Joe was selected by his peers for inclusion in “The Best Lawyers in America© ” in 2013 through 2016 for Real Estate Law. From 2011-2015 Joe has been named one of the top lawyers in New England in the Real Estate Category by Super Lawyers, a joint publication of Boston Magazine and Law & Politics. The Super Lawyers comprise the top 5% of lawyers in the state.
- Represented developer in lease of build-to-suit medical office building in Boston suburb.
- Represented local developer in ground lease and development agreement with international big-box retailer in connection with development of a regional shopping center in central Massachusetts.
- Represented company in transfer of, and release from, nearly 100 leases in connection with a sale of a division of a public-company.
- Represented Boston-based law firm in lease of nearly 50,000 square feet in a major downtown Boston office tower.
- Represented developer in connection with all anchor, pad and in-line leases related to development of 500,000 square foot shopping center.
- Represented technology company in connection with lease of build-to-suit 130,000 square foot headquarters along 495 corridor.
- Represented publicly-traded manufacturing company in the termination of an existing lease and a new lease of a 60,000 square foot build-to-suit manufacturing facility.
- Represented Cambridge-based high-technology company nationally in over thirty lease and sublease transactions, including a new-construction lease of its 176,000 square foot headquarters.
Acquisitions and Sales:
- Represented subsidiary of publicly traded insurance company in $23 million acquisition of new corporate headquarters.
- Represented owner of multi-property real estate portfolio in all aspects of $35 million asset sale including defeasance of commercial mortgage-backed securities.
- Represented owner in sale of retail project in Natick, Massachusetts.
- Represented owner in sale of multi-tenant office building in southern Massachusetts.
- Represented publicly-traded Rhode Island corporation in sale of former corporate headquarters in Billerica, Massachusetts.
- Represented Pennsylvania-based corporation in acquisition of new manufacturing and distribution facility in Devens, Massachusetts.
- Represented owner in obtaining a $30,000,000 acquisition and construction loan for new corporate headquarters.
- Represented retail developer in connection with $35,000,000 refinance and construction loan.
- Represented borrower in connection with a $6,250,000 construction loan with respect to an office building in southern Massachusetts.
- Represented developer in re-structuring of $19,000,000 loan secured by shopping center in central Massachusetts.
- Represented borrower in connection with a $5,400,000 loan on a 100,000 square foot office and self-storage building on Route 128.
- Represented borrower in connection with a $4,900,000 mortgage-backed securitized loan on a mixed-use facility in Waltham, Massachusetts.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT Center for Real Estate). “Legal Issues for Developers”, Guest Speaker on Construction Lending, April, 2010 and December, 2010.
- Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education. “Commercial Tranche Battles: Navigating Declining Values, Increasing Defaults, and the Credit Crunch” – Panelist (Summer 2009).
- Commercial Brokers Association. “Lease Issues in a Distressed Market” – Panelist (Winter 2009).
- CLE International Fifth Annual Conference. Negotiating Leases: Landlord and Tenant Perspectives from Across the Nation: “Small Leases Workshop: Negotiating on Behalf of a Small Tenant” – Panelist (October 2007).
- Boston Bar Association, Commercial Real Estate Leasing. “Assignment/Sublet Issues in Commercial Leases” – Panelist (Fall, 2004).
- Boston Bar Association Leasing Committee, “Commercial Leasing Basics” (Two Part Series) – Panelist (Fall, 2003).
- Boston Bar Association, Commercial Real Estate Leasing. “Risky Business? Lease Drafting for Allocation of Risk” – Program Co-Chair/Panelist (Spring, 2002).
Professional Activities and Honors:
- in 2016, Mr. Torpy was named one of the top lawyers in New England in the Real Estate category by Super Lawyers, a joint publication of Boston Magazine and Law & Politics. The Super Lawyers comprise the top 5% of lawyers in the state.
- Joe is an active member of the Boston Bar Association, where he has served as the co-chair of the Boston Bar Association Real Estate Section Steering Committee, and is a former co-chair of the Boston Bar Association Leasing Committee.
- He has also been a panelist at CLE International’s annual leasing conference in Boston and has presented at several continuing legal education programs sponsored by Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education and the Boston Bar Association, and a guest speaker at the MIT Center for Real Estate.
- Joe was also a guest speaker at the center for Women & Enterprise, a non-profit organization dedicated to help women start and grow their own businesses.
- He is a member of NAIOP and the International Council of Shopping Centers.
- Joe was selected by his peers for inclusion in “The Best Lawyers in America© ” in 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 for Real Estate Law.
Bar and Court Admissions:
Mr. Torpy is admitted to the bar of Massachusetts.
J.D., Syracuse University College of Law, 1994 (magna cum laude)
- Editor, Syracuse Law Review
- Member, Legislative Research Bureau
B.A., Northeastern University, 1991 (cum laude)