Barbara joined the firm as a shareholder in September, 2015. Barbara’s practice focuses on leasing, representing major landlords in their offce portfolios in Boston and Washington, DC and major tenants in their leasing of space nationwide. Barbara’s clients include Beacon Capital Partners, Boston Properties, MetLife, Oxford, and Russell Reynolds Associates. Barbara is particularly skilled at negotiating large leases with technology companies, law firms, and financial services companies, each of which presents its own unique challenges.
Due in part to her extensive teaching experience (including as faculty at Georgetown University’s Masters in Professional Real Estate Program), Barbara excels at translating complex concepts into examples that are clear and easy to understand. This makes her a particularly effective negotiator who is able to build a bridge of understanding between the two or more sides of a deal.
Barbara combines a deep knowledge of the law with its practical application in the real world. Her clients count on her to solve difficult commercial leasing challenges, but they also rely on her to anticipate and avoid those problems in the first place.
Before joining Dain Torpy, Barbara was a director for more than twenty years at Goulston & Storrs PC where she oversaw a team of office leasing lawyers and paralegals.
Barbara has been named one of the top lawyers in New England in the Real Estate Category since 2013 by Super Lawyers, a joint publication of Boston Magazine and Law & Politics. The Super Lawyers comprise the top 5% of lawyers in the state.
- Representing a major Landlord REIT in a two-building 600K RSF lease with a preeminent technology provider tenant in Cambridge in a deal named the 2016 deal of the year by CBA.
- Representing a major Landlord REIT in leases to two iconic social media tenants in Washington, DC, securing the transformation of a soon-to-be-vacant office building into the hot new tech address.
- Representing a major Landlord REIT in a major reshuffing of offce tower tenants in Boston, drafting interrelated documents to relocate existing tenants to free up a large block of space for a new tenant.
- Representing a major landlord REIT in a 300K RSF lease with a preeminent Internet search firm tenant for three separate buildings with to-be-built connector space linking them in Cambridge.
- Representing a major landlord REIT in leasing to a variety of legal, accounting and financial services tenants in Boston.
- Providing portfolio-wide leasing services to major national landlords in the Boston and Washington markets, directing a group of paralegals and attorneys to manage all leasing activity, from the smallest to the largest, effciently and economically.
- Representing a major international corporation in its nationwide leasing needs.
- December 2011 — Law Journal Newsletter, Commercial Leasing Law & Strategy Demystifying the Proposed Lease Accounting Changes
- July 2011 — CoreNet Newsletter — Proposed Lease Accounting Changes: What’s All the Fuss About?
- April 2011 — “Companies will have to Report their Real Estate Leases as a Financial Asset—a Change that is more than just Bookkeeping,” Washington Business Journal
Professional and Community Involvement:
- Faculty, Georgetown University Masters in Professional Real Estate Program (Leasing Course)
- Instructor, Boston University Center for Professional Education
- Instructor and Co-Chair, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education
- Instructor, Greater Boston Real Estate Board Continuing Education
- Former member of Board of Directions, Commercial Real Estate Women Network (CREW Network)
- Former Steering Committee Member and Chair of Community Involvement Committee, New England Women in Real Estate (CREW Boston)
- Alumna, Crow Point Marching Kazoo Band
Seminars and Events:
- July, 2011 — “Mid-Atlantic Education: FASB Follow-up Luncheon,” CoreNet
- 2009-Present — Greater Boston Real Estate Board: 12 Hour CE Course
- 2003-Present — Commercial Real Estate Basics Course, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education
- 2007-2010 — Fundamentals of Real Estate Transactions Course, Boston University Center for Professional Education
Awards and Recognition:
- Martindale Hubbell Peer Review Rated AV Preeminent TM
- Top Women Lawyers in the Northeast, Real Estate, Martindale Hubbell, 2011
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
Bar and Court Admissions:
Ms. Schmitt is admitted to the bar of Massachusetts
University of Chicago, A.B., 1978, Phi Beta Kappa
University of Michigan, M.A., 1979
Harvard Law School, J.D., 1984, cum laude